Tuesday, June 12, 2007






What is Calvinism and Why is it Important?





My reason for writing this is for people who will never hear of this term in the typical church, whether it be seeker sensitive or Charismatic, Pentecostal or Baptist, Presbyterian or Lutheran. The Lord has graciously exposed me to this essential theological term and many others need to be exposed to it as well. A swift rebuke for myself; When you think you have arrived, their is always so much more to obtain from the endless wisdom of a infinite God. I chase wisdom with a passion and we should as believers. My goal is to be sound doctrinally in all areas of Christendom. In learning about this, I thank God more and more because he pulled me out of heresy, and the thing is that we as a people(not just blacks but humans) forget our history and ignorantly we are bound to repeat it. Do you think Jehovah Witnesses, Mormons, Word Of Faith, Baha'i Faith, and many others just arrived? No they are stemmed from a lineage of Heretical doctrines that have just resurfaced. I know many of you may already know this truth, if so sorry to bore you. God Bless.





First let me acknowledge that Calvin was a mere man and we are not to esteem him anymore than the average man. Yes he was the vessel God used to expound this doctrine(monergism) and GOD bless him for that, but he was just the clay and not the Potter. We acknowledge this in reverence for the Giver of all enlightenment and wisdom.

John Calvin was born (July 10, 1509May 27, 1564) was a French Protestant theologian during the Protestant Reformation and was a central developer of the system of Christian theology called Calvinism or Reformed theology. Calvinism was actually started to refute the claims of Jacobus Arminius. Mr. Arminius had 5 points of arminianism and that is where the 5 points of Calvinism came in to play to refute this teaching. I am not going to get into the teachings in detail of arminianism honestly because I have not done the research, don't fret; because knowledge and wisdom is progressive in the life of the Christian.



Why is this important?
1) If we do not know our history we almost inevitably will repeat it.
2) Calvinism shapes the way we view our relationship and the distinctiveness of a Holy God.
3) It shapes the way we view our self and people who are unregenerate.
4) It allows us to view evangelism properly and one cannot make true progress in sanctification.
5) Most importantly without this truth, people are more susceptible to error.
6) All Truth of any kind is beneficial in the life of a Christian.



5 Points if Calvinism. TULIP



T-Total Depravity- Romans 3:10"There is no one righteous, not even one; 11 there is no one who understands, no one who seeks God. 12 All have turned away, they have together become worthless; there is no one who does good, not even one."

U-Unconditional Election-Romans 9:11 Yet, before the twins were born or had done anything good or bad--in order that God's purpose in election might stand: 12 not by works but by him who calls--she was told, "The older will serve the younger." 13 Just as it is written: "Jacob I loved, but Esau I hated."

Limited Atonement-John 6:37 All that the Father gives me will come to me, and whoever comes to me I will never drive away.

I-Irresistible Grace-2Peter 3:9The Lord is not slow in keeping his promise, as some understand slowness. He is patient with you, not wanting anyone to perish, but everyone to come to repentance.

P-Perseverance and Preservation of the Saints-Romans 8:30 And those he predestined, he also called; those he called, he also justified; those he justified, he also glorified.

I know this was brief but I just wanted to wet the appetite to those of you who are ignorant to this truth. Let us get a little history of the Faith that we proclaim.