Saturday, July 28, 2007

Though HE slay me


DESCRIPTION: Two men by a computer looking at Job CAPTION: I JUST DIDN'T HAVE THE HEART TO TELL JOB THAT HIS COMPUTER CRASHED


Job 13:15 Though He slay me, yet will I trust Him. Even so, I will defend my own ways before Him.

2 Timothy 3:12 Yes, and all who desire to live godly in Christ Jesus will suffer persecution

In our western civilization we constantly hear about this Christianity that guarantees health and wealth or either says, "Come to Jesus and He'll make you happy!" In that we see something so contra distinctive in comparison to what we see in the Bible. We Christians are guaranteed peace in the midst of the storm. Why? Because we know our hope does not lie in the disappointments of this world. Our home and treasure is elsewhere. God has given us a seal and a promise called the Holy Spirit and Comforter so when test and trials come to us in life they do not bankrupt us from the faith. I utter at the the thought that I should be mad at God after reading Job 38. To draw this conclusion I would have to be a illegitimate Christian, one born from another father and not the God of the Bible. As true Christians we know that for those who love God all things work together for good, for those who are called according to his purpose. So whatever the trial may be it is and was sovereignly orchestrated by the God of the Universe who controls everything. This is so much easier to grasp when you are not going through a trial; but in the midst of it; it must become a reality.

If we fail when the test comes, the reality of our true state is laid bare before all.

Matt 13:22 Now he who received seed among the thorns is he who hears the word, and the cares of this world and the deceitfulness of riches choke the word, and he becomes unfruitful.

Job is a rather popular book and most of us have heard of his story at one time or another. Job, convinced of his own innocence, maintains that his suffering cannot be accounted for by his few sins, and that there is no reason for God to punish him thus. However, he refuses to curse God's name. Job loses everything he had after God agrees to let Job be tested by Satan to see whether he would be as faithful if God did not bless him with material possessions. In this we see that God is totally sovereign and nothing happens without Him allowing it to happen. At this time in my life I have accepted this and try to see this in light of the Holy Scriptures. When things happen like in Job's life;we are not guaranteed an explanation for everything that happens, but we are guaranteed that Christ will be with us at all times in adversity. When does your scripture memorization and study come to life? They come to life when they become a reality and you have to rely on the simple yet complex promises of God. No I am not speaking any fancy Word of Faith jargon, but all of our studying must be tested.

Zechariah 13:9 I will bring the one-third through the fire, Will refine them as silver is refined, And test them as gold is tested. They will call on My name, And I will answer them. I will say, 'This is My people'; And each one will say, 'The Lord is my God.' "

In context Zechariah was speaking of the remnant that would be saved from Israel and vaguely mentioned the Cruixifiction of the Messiah. Even in this we can see that we must be tested. There is so much to extrapolate from the book of Job. The scripture reference listed above is Job's rebuttal to his three friends Eliphaz the Temanite, Bildad the Shuhite, and Zophar the Naamathite. A fourth, Elihu the Buzite, first begins talking in chapter 32 and bears a distinguished part in the dialogue; his arrival is not explained. The friends spend a week sitting on the ground with Job, without speaking, until Job at last breaks his silence and complains of his misery. His four friends try to accuse Job of sins that they feels is the reasoning for his suffering. Obviously Job knows better and without a doubt knows his position with God. Do you know yours? Job was a honorable man and this is the reason why he had the temerity to stand before a Holy God and attempt to declare his filthy righteousness. After God makes a verminous exposition of Job, Job realizes his true state.

Job 42:1 Then Job answered the Lord and said: 2 “I know that you can do all things,and that no purpose of yours can be thwarted.3 ‘Who is this that hides counsel without knowledge?’Therefore I have uttered what I did not understand,things too wonderful for me, which I did not know.4 ‘Hear, and I will speak;I will question you, and you make it known to me.’5 I had heard of you by the hearing of the ear,but now my eye sees you;6 therefore I despise myself,and repent in dust and ashes.”

The Lord Rebukes Job's Friends After getting a secure handle on Calvinism amongst other essential things we see that as believers; there are no accidents and no surprises in the eyes of God. We cannot attribute evil to God, so please do not misunderstand me. We just understand that God is totally perfect, sovereign and works everything in accordance with His will and plan.

James 1:12 Blessed is the man who remains steadfast under trial, for when he has stood the test he will receive the crown of life, which God has promised to those who love him. 13 Let no one say when he is tempted, “I am being tempted by God,” for God cannot be tempted with evil, and he himself tempts no one. 14 But each person is tempted when he is lured and enticed by his own desire. 15 Then desire when it has conceived gives birth to sin, and sin when it is fully grown brings forth death.

Some factual information obtained from http://www.wikipedia.org/