Monday, October 29, 2007

Losing Yourself in Christ


Acts 20:24 But none of these things move me, neither count I my life dear unto myself, so that I might finish my course with joy, and the ministry, which I have received of the Lord Jesus, to testify the gospel of the grace of God.

This evening when I got off of work I saw the moon. It was dark red and it made me think of a day in August of 2006. After our son was born in July of 2006, my wife and I decided it was best for her to stay home with our son and I would work to maintain our lifestyle. That meant me working about 65 plus hours a week and thus giving me more time to read and study the scriptures since my part-time jobs were mainly security aside from my full-time job which is insurance.

While working a night shift at one of the jobs there was a night when I was really wrestling with all the truth God had been providing me with and I went outside and glanced at the full moon as white as it could be. I immediately broke out in tears and cried uncontrollably for a extensive amount of time. I felt so alone in the fact that no one understood the zeal I had for the Lord. I, by God's sovereign grace had come across John Macarthur and J Vernon's Mcghee's expository preaching over the radio and I had found what I was looking for all my life; A purpose that surpassed anything this world could offer. It was what I was missing at my former Word Of Faith Church; Accurate and Proper Exegesis of the Scriptures!!!

Galatians 4:3 Even so we, when we were children, were in bondage under the elements of the world: But when the fulness of the time was come, God sent forth his Son, made of a woman, made under the law, To redeem them that were under the law, that we might receive the adoption of sons.

While I in my wretched state I was totally depraved and separated from God, He unconditionally chose me before the foundation of the world. In this I get absolutely no glory and to him I owe my all. He becomes my motivation for everything. I become what Piper call a "Christian Hedonist." I, for no good deed I could ever do was royally elected and selected for His Glory. Through no works I could do to please Him, the blood of goats would not suffice but by his irresistible grace He won me without a fight. He at the time of saving me gave me a wonderful seal of promise in which we call the Comforter, The Holy Spirit. He sent His son to brutally die and suffer His wrath for our sake. This my friend in the Gospel. Now I honestly do not think God wrestles with us concerning salvation. When God speak things just do as He says. In a sense I can see how God woos us with His wonderful grace but I don't think God has to wrestle with us about the gift of salvation.

I have begun to get in the habit of complaining about small things and big things alike. This is sin. I have not lost myself in Christ. At times I try to feel bad for myself regarding some of life's circumstances. God showed me in His Word that this is sin. At my church there are two women who impress me beyond words. They have been enduring hardship for much much longer than me and they still press on with Christ-likeness every day. I on the other have the temerity to shake my fist at God and complain. Now of course I am not shaking my fist towards God and doing this but after looking at the scriptures I might as well be doing this. Is not God totally sovereign? Lets go to Philippians 2.


Phillpians 2:14
Do all things without murmurings and disputings:
That ye may be blameless and harmless, the sons of God, without rebuke, in the midst of a crooked and perverse nation, among whom ye shine as lights in the world; Holding forth the word of life; that I may rejoice in the day of Christ, that I have not run in vain, neither laboured in vain.


If God is totally sovereign over everything than we should not fall in same category as the Israelites who complained to Moses about their current state. In reality they were voicing their concerns to Moses but even amongst themselves they complained. Their dissatisfaction was in essence towards the Most High God. We are commanded to do ALL things without murmurings or complaining. How much has complaining become part of our normal day to day conversations? We cringe when we think of adultery and fornication but we think lightly of things like complaining because we have become so accustomed to our environment.

As I view the simple things in life(as we would say) like the moon and nature I now see things through a eternal perspective. I can not go any place where God is not in control, everything is going according to His plan. If I simply focus on Him other things seem not to matter as much. The more I understand this the easier it becomes to obey His commands for my life.