Wednesday, December 5, 2007

Reflections on the Conference.



This past weekend I attended the first Stand Up Conference and I had a excellent time. I would like to just highlight some of the events from this weekend. I have always been very observant even as a youngster and even more so as a man. I have the tendency to observe peoples words along with their actions to see if they match. Over the weekend I had the opportunity to be ministered to on more than one occasion.

Proverbs 1:7 The fear of the LORD [is] the beginning of knowledge: [but] fools despise wisdom and instruction.

Sean Isaacs(NY):Friday. The conference started promptly at 7pm. Sean Isaacs speaks on the "Fear of God". I have to be honest here and say that I did not expect him to preach well. Typically when a person tells me they have been in over 100 churches in a year; I basically write them off as a unstable church hopper who has dabbled in every wind of doctrine and would coin them as unstable and unsubmissive to church discipline. WRONG!! This brother preached on this topic as if Jesus was coming back tomorrow. Which by the way is how we should preach all the time. Honestly Sean is a learned brother. He unlike most knows about church history and understands the Gospel. I would encourage these brothers to stop playing and start a church or either link up with Vincent Grimsley to assist him in building a church or doing a house church to avoid the cost of maintaining a building. Sean spoke about cultivating a healthy fear of God based on learning about HIM through the Word of God. Scripture highlights from Sean are:Proverbs 1:7, 16:6 Psalms 89:7 Luke 9:51 Hebrews 2, 10:26-27 Deut 31:10-12 2nd Cor 7 Acts 9:31 Phil 2:12

Isa 45:5 I [am] the LORD, and [there is] none else, [there is] no God beside me: I girded thee, though thou hast not known me: That they may know from the rising of the sun, and from the west, that [there is] none beside me. I [am] the LORD, and [there is] none else. I form the light, and create darkness: I make peace and create evil: I the LORD do all these [things].

Saiko Woods(TX):Friday I know Saiko personally and honestly was expecting him to preach and teach well. This is the kind of brother we need to see on TV. I know good preaching. I have heard Paul Washer, John MacArthur and many others. I am always put in a weird state of mind when I hear a combination of John MacArthur with the heart and passion of Washer. This, to me is how John Coleman preaches and I can now put Saiko in this category too. We rarely hear about Thabiti Anyabwile, Anthony Carter, Ken Jones or any other solid expositional black preachers. Typically when the world or even some of the (so called) church thinks about solid black preachers; they think of heretics(wolves) like Jakes, Dollar, Price, Hilliard, and many others not worth mentioning. I describe Saiko's preaching as an Expositional Charismatic. I know Charismatic is a dirty word nowadays. As a people(blacks) we try to separate ourselves so far from where we have come from and now think that preaching with emotion or speaking with passion is a bad thing. It is not!! From reading the scriptures I cannot believe that the Apostles were light hearted and without passion. I too get passionate about speaking and talking about the Word of God. Emotion combined with sound doctrine is somewhat lacking in the Evangelical church. We cannot speak passively about the truth God has entrusted us with. Saiko spoke on the Sovereignty of God in 1) Creation, 2) Humanity, 3) Suffering-Death-Calamity-Sickness 4) Salvation. What a treat this was!!! Scriptures: Job 42:2 & 7 Psalm 115:3, 50:10-12 Psalm 8:1-9 Gen 1:26 Isa 45:5-7 and many others.

Pastor John(CA) Saturday morning. Pastor John Coleman I have known for about a year now and he is one of the tools that God used to pull me out of the Word of Faith heresy. He taught on a myriad of topics on Saturday morning. I can't say enough good about this man! He has a heart to bring theology to the inner city where it is needed the most. He does not charge to teach and had a wealth of information on is computer and not to mention in his head. Pastor John is 63 years old. With his own money he bought 4 hours of time(from his own pocket) so he could teach us. Keep in mind this was not part of the original conference time. John is not seeking to make friends or make a name for himself. He just simply wants to do what God has instructed Him to do. In 4 hours he taught us many things but what I learn most about PJ is how wise he is. I honestly don't think just because you are old that you are wise, but PJ is older and wiser than most because he stays in the Word. Wisdom comes from God and is not gained with age.

Saiko Woods(TX) Saturday evening. Saiko Woods spoke to the Doctrine of Hell. Scriptures proofs: Matt 3:12,5:29-30, 8:12, 10:28, 13:45 Luke 16:23 Isa 33:14 Rev 20:15 and many others.

Bob Miller(NY) Saturday evening. Rev. Miller spoke on "Pressing Towards the Mark". This was a great emotion filled sermon. Miller preached with fire and stayed true to the text. Miller gave a great historical setting of 1 Corinthians 9:24. Miller spoke on what Paul's intent was on comparing this life to a race. I really enjoyed his preaching and teaching and I am glad that Tim has this brother on the Stand Up Crew!!
1 Corinthians 9:24 Know ye not that they which run in a race run all, but one receiveth the prize? So run, that ye may obtain.

John Coleman(CA) Sunday Morning. Pastor John taught on "Hermeneutics." He went over the 5 Basic Premises of Interpretation.
1) Literal
2)Grammatical
3)Historical
4)Literary
5)Theological

Pastor John also teaches philosophy at a secular college in the Los Angeles area and did an excellent job in going over this truth and many more for 4 hours.
Lords Supper: One highlight for me in this conference was the Lord's Supper. John stayed true to his duty as a Pastor and warned the people not to partake in the Supper if they are unregenerate. John, Saiko, Bob, and Tim served the congregation after breaking bread(literally sharing one piece of bread) amongst each other. This was a very emotional time for many; seeing the humility in the pastors serving the people. What a treat this was for me and many others.
This was a very emotional weekend for me especially departing back to Kansas City. WHY? Because I seen so many families who were searching for a TRUE BODY and could not find one. A lot have been burned by the churches who are not the true body of Christ but only imposter's. I would encourage those to seek Bible churches who teach sound doctrine and stay true to the Word of God. This may mean venturing out and getting in a position that makes you uncomfortable for a bit. The body of Christ is not just black and white but reflects every nation and tongue.

Rev5 :9 And they sung a new song, saying, Thou art worthy to take the book, and to open the seals thereof: for thou wast slain, and hast redeemed us to God by thy blood out of every kindred, and tongue, and people, and nation; And hast made us unto our God kings and priests: and we shall reign on the earth.

Rev: 14:9 And I saw another angel fly in the midst of heaven, having the everlasting gospel to preach unto them that dwell on the earth, and to every nation, and kindred, and tongue, and people, Saying with a loud voice, Fear God, and give glory to him; for the hour of his judgment is come: and worship him that made heaven, and earth, and the sea, and the fountains of waters.